A Virtual Town Hall- October 23, 12:00PM EST
On September 19, President Obama finally called for increased recognition and support for Black women. But our work is far from over. Now we must ask--where do we go from here?
Time is ticking.
In the few months that remain, what steps can the Obama Administration take to address the challenges facing women and girls and lift up the barriers--structural, institutional and social--undermining the wellbeing of communities of color?
Join us for #WhyWeCantWait: Where Do We Go From Here?, to discuss some of the hard facts about the status of women and girls of color and consider what concrete steps could be taken to enhance their well being. Together let's demand an equitable and meaningful racial justice agenda! Join us and share the event widely with your networks!
- Moderator: Janine Jackson, Program Director, FAIR
- Kimberle Crenshaw, Executive Director, African American Policy Forum and the Center for Intersectionality and Social Policy Studies
- Barbara Arnwine, Executive Director, Transformative Justice Coalition and Host of Igniting Change Radio Show
- Terry O’Neill, President, National Organization for Women
- Darnell Moore, Senior Editor at MicNews and Co-Managing Editor at The Feminist Wire
- Mychal Denzel-Smith, Knobler Fellow and Blogger at The Nation
- William Darity, Professor of Public Policy, Duke University
- Marlon Peterson, Founder of The Precedential Group and recipient of the Soros Justice Fellowship
- Nimmi Gowrinathan, Feminist scholar and human rights activist
- LaDonna Sanders-Redmond, Education and Outreach Coordinator, Seward Community Co-op
- Nona Jones, Chief External Affairs Officer, PACE Center for Girls
- Jyoti Nanda, Professor at UCLA School of Law
- Monique Lane, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Kisha Webster, Educator and Youth Advocate
- N'Dri Assie-Lumumba, Professor of Africana Studies, Cornell University
- Monica Simpson, Executive Director, SisterSong
- Priscilla Ocen, Associate Professor, Loyola Law School
- Yolanda Sealey-Ruiz, Professor of English Education, Teachers College
- Lisalyn Jacobs, Vice President for Government Relations, Legal Momentum
- Anika Simpson, Professor of Philosophy and Women’s Studies, Morgan State University
- Samantha Master, African American Leadership & Engagement Specialist, Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Shay McLean, PhD Student and Activist, University of Illinois
Share the following memes on social media using the hashtag #WhyWeCantWait!